Monday, January 4, 2010

Bye bye 2009

We're in January again, and another year has gone by. 2009 has been an interesting year for me. Not a particularly good one, but not too bad either.

I started the year working at a tile factory (something not too surprising in Castellón), driving a forklift truck, preparing tile orders and loading them on lorries. The economic crisis had begun already, but I wasn't too worried about it; after all, I still had a job and I did it the best I could. In fact, I bet I did it much better than many people around me did. I could see that we got fewer lorries to load, but we had more or less the same amount of work: no matter if you order two boxes or twenty-eight, you still have to handle those boxes. Actually, I would say that the fewer boxes the order consists of, the more you have to work: a whole pallet of tiles means hardly any amount of work, as you only have to move it around with the forklift truck.

But the crisis was there and it also arrived at my workplace. The company considered that too many people were employed, so they decided to lay off a dozen or two of them. And I was in the list. I was outraged. I had done my best but still I had got the sack. The reason was that I was cheaper to sack than other people, regardless of each one's capabilities. After three years working at the same place and doing the same kind of things, I had grown accustomed to this routine, and I found it very hard to stop it all of a sudden. Well, at least now I could devote all the time I wanted to studying for my Official School of Languages' exams... I think I did quite well, so it was all worth it after all :)

It was time to face the future. It was April, I was entitled to twelve months of unemployment benefit, and, given the economic crisis, I wasn't going to find a job anyway. Since I quitted University back in 1997 I had had the feeling that I should resume my studies before it was too late, so, why not now? It was the perfect situation: during the first year (the hardest for me, as I'm no longer used to studying in a serious way), I could rely on the unemployment money, and after that I would find a way to combine work with studying. So, I decided to go for it. I had always wanted to study Translation and Interpreting, but when I tried those many years ago, I couldn't (my English wasn't good enough for Granada University). This time I would try in Castellón. I couldn't enrol straight away: first, they put my name down on a waiting list, and afterwards I was told to attend a big meeting where they would assign the vacancies left to be filled. I was lucky enough to get a vacancy! I was so happy! I could fulfil my dreams at last!

Summer came to an end, September arrived, and with it, the beginning of classes. Back to school, at 35! Oh my God. It felt weird to be once again in this environment, but this time surrounded by people much younger than me... Never mind, I'm here to study Translation and Heaven knows I'm going to do it. But I have to admit that it's proving hard to carry out. There's soooooo much to do! Every teacher has an impressive amount of homework for you and there's just not enough time for it! I mean, if you devote hundred percent of your time, of course you can do it, but, aren't we supposed to have a life? Maybe it's just me; anyway, I'll do my best to succeed in this new challenge. But I'm afraid I miss terribly my working days; there were so stress-free... I long for my dear old forklift truck :)

I hope 2010 will be a better year for everyone; especially for me ;) I just can't wait to see this bloody financial crisis go away; I want to see everybody happy again, with plenty of jobs available, with new businesses sprouting everywhere, with plenty of opportunities for the future. Last but not least, I want to pass all my University exams :)

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

3 comments:

  1. So, finally we know the story behind the man. xD

    I didn't count your words, but I bet this is your last post for completing the 4000, innit?

    What are you doing with this blog then? Are you going to continue it? Close it? Abandon it like a grandpa in a gas station?

    CU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I'm still short of about 500 words... once I've reached my goal, I don't know what the future of my blog will be. I mean to keep it and add new posts from time to time (it's a good way to comment on things in English), but I can't swear anything as I will probably be too busy to work on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, 500 words... You know, you could write "Screw Flanders" 250 times.

    Um... Now I think, it is a great idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete